I wanted to try posting a layout on here, as I've not done that before. This is one I've had in my head for a long time - it's about the dessert that was served at my wedding shower in July 2007. My friends did fancy cupcakes instead of a sheet cake, and it was a big hit!

The papers I used are from Laura Deacetis' Coconut Creamer kit, at Shabby Pickle, and the extractions I did myself!
Here's another layout I finished this weekend - part of my maybe too big recipe book projects - this one for my DSG friends. This recipe is Judy's and has become a holiday favorite for myself as well. It is just so easy to do, and makes for a great gift for neighbors and coworkers. One Christmas season I spent an entire Saturday making 25 of these to give. It's entirely possible, but I'd suggest having 2 bundt pans - you need the pan to really be cool in order to get the almonds to stay placed correctly.

The papers and elements here are from Raspberry Road's Christmas Remembered kit. The alpha is by Tricia Curtis Designs. I just love this alpha - it's a layered chipboard alpha, and you can change the color of the color layer, and change the look by playing with the blending modes on the damask overlay layer. I've really got to learn how to make some more alphas like this for myself. I've got some ideas I need to play around with...
Ok, and the last thing I wanted to share with you is Bircher Muesli. It's a breakfast food I've been wanting to make myself for ages. I always have it when I travel in Europe and Pacific, and I've always loved it, but I never seen it in the US. So, I did some research yesterday and made some for myself. Here's what I did:
Bircher Muesli
In a sealable container, add 2 cups of rolled oats, one grated apple, 2 T. lemon juice, and enough liquid to cover. I used apple cider, but water, other fruit juices or milk can be used. Omit the lemon juice if using milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, put 1/2 - 1 cup of plain yogurt into your bowl. Add 1/2 - 1 cup of the oats mixture, 1 T. honey or maple syrup, 1/2 - 1 cup chopped fresh fruit (I used an apple), chopped nuts, raisins, seeds,... whatever you prefer.
Mix and eat. The entire batch of this could be made up at this point, and will keep, refrigerated for at least a week.
It was yummy and very filling. I think I will make a big batch of myself for weekday breakfasts - I could even keep it at work!
In Europe, when I've had it, it always had bananas and coconut in it, but you can really just use any fruit/nut/seed combination you have available.
This was invented in Switzerland around 1900, by a doctor named Bircher, as part of their wellness program (think Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Kellogg in "The Road to Wellville").
Give it a try - I think you'll like it!
0 comments:
Post a Comment