Ok, so you know how we just started using Google Mail and Google Calendar at work? Well, now I've discovered Google Reader. And, it is a very bad distraction at work. Basically, it's a place where you link it to all the blogs you like to see, and then it keeps all of that complied and updated for you. I have a bunch of digiscrap blog subscriptions, as well as our local newspaper, Pop Candy from USA today (entertainment blog), several local food blogs, and some fitness blogs - Sqwiggs, Bill's, Turbulence training, Tom Venuto's...
So, you don't have to keep checking these blogs for new postings - the Reader does that for you. The home page shows how many new posts in each catagory, and you can see a quick synopsis of each post, with a link to the actual site. You can "star" them for later reference, or mark them as read. It's is a huge time saver for someone who checks a lot of blogs! And, you can see it from anywhere you can log into it, unlike readers that are specfic to your computer's browser window - you can only see those on your specific computer.
The distraction for me is that on the IE tab it always shows you how many new post have shown up. In that particular IE window, which I am in all the time, I have a tab for google mail, calendar and now reader. So, when I'm supposed to be answering mail, I'm always seeing that there are new blog posts, and checking into those instead!
0 comments:
Post a Comment