Cyn’s City

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Marmitout

Well, apparently my latest Le Creuset piece is known as a Marmitout- who knew! I don't know exactly how to pronounce it, but it's basically a cooking pot with a frying pan lid. Alton Brown would love these, as he is so against the single-purpose kitchen item, or uni-taskers as he calls them!

Apparently these pots are most popular in England and France, and are an ideal solution for a tiny kitchen with little storage space. The LC one I got is only available at the outlet stores as it has been discontinued here in the States. It comes in two sizes, 2.25 qt and 3.5 qt. I got the 3.5 qt size, in cherry. Here's a few photos of the LC one:
Here's one I found online by Nigella Lawson, which is only available in England:
And another by Lodge, still currently available, which they call the Logic Combo Cooker :

I picked this LC piece up as it seemed to be a great value for money - two pans for the price of one. On the 3.5 qt pot, the skillet lid is just the perfect size for scrambling eggs or a grilled cheese sandwich, and the cooking pot itself is quite roomy - I made the meat sauce for my lasagna in it last night, and had plenty of room in it, even using 2# of meat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment